The official Facebook app for Windows 8.1 has been a big hit so far; it received an immediate update adding notification settings recently, and now apparently rolled out yet another update with lots of features and tweaks ported from the web version.
Facebook has yet to offer change logs on what exactly is new in this update, but certainly the developers have been squashed a few bugs and added new features. Moreover, we have discovered what appears changed and improved in this update as follows:
- The app borrows some Windows 8.1 APIs and now allows to download photos and set them as lockscreen and Windows profile picture.
- In addition to sharing status or post via personal message, now you can share the status on your wall or friends’ timeline within the app.
- The app finally lets you place photos directly in comments.
- You can share photos in chat, and upload and send files as an attachment.
- In chat, a toggle button (like a mouse pointer) added to turn on/off location sharing while composing a message.
- Finally, the app can be resized up to 320px – for chat addicts like me – while snapping the two or more apps side by side.
Microsoft released the official Facebook app for Windows 8.1 alongside the release of the Windows 8.1 update on October 17th. Click the download link below to get the updated app or update the app via the Windows Store.
Let us know if you notice any new features or performance improvements.
Download: Facebook app for Windows 8.1