The launcher app, Google Now Launcher is now available for all Nexus and Play Edition devices on Google Play store, except for the Galaxy Nexus.
Extending the availability of Google Now Launcher for the Nexus lineup, the Mountain View group has released the launcher app on Play store for free.
Currently, the compatibility is limited to few Nexus devices and the Play Edition (Galaxy S4, HTC One, etc…) devices, running Android 4.4 KitKat. In coming months, it would be extended to other models so as to serve the same user experience across the devices, except the Galaxy Nexus, which we have already seen on the Nexus 5.
- Google Now on your home screen – it’s easier than ever to get just the right information at just the right time.
- Just say “Ok Google” – when you’re on your home screen, just say “Ok Google” to trigger voice input. Then say your search query. Or tell your phone what to do, like send a text message, get directions, or play a song (available in the US, UK, and Canada).
- Faster search – tap the search box and you can enter your query immediately.
- Easy access to your favorite Google products and services, like Gmail, YouTube, and Maps.
- Larger viewing area – the status and navigation bars are now translucent, so your wallpaper pops from every pixel, and is even visible when you expand your apps drawer (when supported by device).
- Intuitive wallpaper picker – select any image that’s stored on your device, or in the cloud. Position and preview your wallpaper before you set it.
As its name suggests, Google Now is the key aspect and simple accessible with a swipe from the left edge of the home screen. Now, there’re more tabs for apps and widget.
Unfortunately, the launcher doesn’t work intuitively on other devices and lacks maturity level, but it’s worthy to tryout as we may be seeing an update soon.