Apple has just released iOS 7.1, the first major upgrade to iOS 7 after an extensive series of minor updates. The upgrade includes several tweaks to the user interface, usual bug fixes and support for new CarPlay feature to enjoy the mobile operating system in the Car.
The build comes with 11D167 initials and is already available for download over-the-air, however, Windows and Mac users can connect their devices to iTunes and upgrade to iOS 7.1.
Among the new features, the CarPlay, previously known as iOS in the Car, enables you to respond incoming calls, dictate text messages, accessing music library using Siri in compatible vehicles. Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo supports CarPlay in some of their new arrivals, however, few other car makers including Ford and BMW have promised to integrate support for CarPlay in their new cars.
There’s good news for iTunes Radio fans, iOS 7.1 allows you to easily create station based on your favorite artist or song. You can now buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing.
In terms of accessibility, you can now adjust font weight, button shapes and also reduce UI animations in Weather, Messages and multitasking. There’re minor improvements concerning Camera settings that allow you to automatically enable HDR mode for your iPhone 5S.
Here’s the complete list of changes in iOS 7.1
- iOS experience designed for the car
- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
- Control with Siri and the car’s touchscreen, knobs, and buttons
- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you’re done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese
- iTunes Radio
- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries
- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point
- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Improved performance for iPhone 4
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
- Continued user interface refinements