The AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) team has recently released a new build that updates the HTC One to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. The team has released the AOKP JB-MR1 nightly build for the HTC One using which, consumers can update their HTC One smartphones to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and at the same time get a chance to use several customized features that are not present in the official version.
One of the recognized XDA developers, Romanbb has shared this ROM along with an easy installation method. Using this ROM you can upgrade your HTC One devices to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Remember that you might encounter minor bugs and issues with the installation process since the ROM is still in the development stage.
So if you do not want to wait for the official update and want to get Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean right away via AOKP, then follow the steps below.
- Install the USB Drivers for your HTC One on your computer
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on your phone by going to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging Mode
- Be sure to take a backup of your device just in case you face any problems during the process
- Be sure to fully charge your phone battery
- Your phone should be rooted and should have ClockworkMod recovery installed
- Use this ROM only on the ‘HTC One’ device
- If you get stuck on the Booting animation or experience boot loop, then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times and then reboot the device.
- Download the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOKP JB-MR1 nightly ROM for HTC One.
- Download Google Apps package.
- Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable and copy the above two files to the SD card as they are (Do not extract).
- Disconnect the USB cable and turn off the phone.
- Boot the device in Recovery mode (Press and hold ‘Volume Down’ and ‘Power’ buttons together to boot into HBOOT menu, from there select Recovery).
- When in recovery mode, perform a ‘Nandroid backup’ of the existing ROM so that you can use it later if required. To perform this backup, select ‘Backup and Restore’ then on the next screen select ‘Backup’ again. Once done, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now wipe the data before you use the new ROM. In order to do so, select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ then select ‘Yes’ on the next screen to confirm the action. Once done, go back to the CWM recovery menu. Now select ‘wipe cache partition’ and then select ‘Wipe Dalvik Cache’ under ‘advance’ option in order to perform Dalvik cache wiping. Once done, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard.’ Select the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM that you have already copied into your microSD card. Select it using the ‘power button’ and confirm installation on the next screen. The ROM installation should now start.
- Once the ROM is installed, follow step 8 again, but this time choose ‘Google apps package’ and install it.
- Once installed, return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’ in order to reboot the phone. Once your phone is rebooted, you will have successfully upgraded your device to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. You can also verify the same by going to Settings -> About phone.
Revert to the previous ROM:
If at any point of time you wish to revert back to the previous ROM which you have already backed up, you can do so with these two steps:
- Boot the phone into recovery mode
- Select ‘Backup and Restore’ and select the ROM you want.