SHARE
Windows 10 Free Upgrade

In just 6 months, Windows 10 has reached 13 percent market share, gaining a percentage point every month, recorded bt Net Applications.

Windows 10 is up and running on 12.82 percent of computers, reports Net Applications. That the feat has been achieved in just six months of its existence makes it all the more impressive.

Windows 10 adoption rate has also been steady so far, having grown from 11.85 percent in January and 9.96 percent in December. This makes for a gain of a percentage point for every month.

With that many PCs running Windows 10, the latest version of Windows is just behind Windows 7 which continues to dominate with a commanding 52.34 percent share of the market. Windows 7 though has had it’s hey days, and it’s going to be a downhill journey henceforth. It is already down several percentage points from the 60 percent share of the market recorded in July, 2015.

All new PCs are coming out already have Windows 10 pre-installed on them. Microsoft has also been advocating Windows 10 Free Upgrade as ‘recommended’ for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. Microsoft has been aggressively pushing adoption of its Windows 10 and has also made the platform available free to anyone owning a genuine version of Windows 7 and 8.1, something that was unthinkable even a few years ago.

Windows 10 Market Share February 2016

Surprisingly, Windows XP with an 11.24 percent market share comes in as the third most popular operating system. However, with Microsoft withdrawing support for the OS, it is likely to drift into oblivion soon enough before ceding ground to the more recent OS versions.

The fourth slot belongs to Windows 8.1 with 9.83 percent share of the market to itself. Together with Windows 8 which individually has 2.43 percent market share, Windows 8/8.1 combined has 12.26 percent share of the market.

Apple’s Mac OS X 10.11 has a market share of 3.72 percent and has emerged as the fifth most widely used PC platform.

See Also: Windows 10 Mobile to be SW Update for Windows 8.1 phones + Mobile Build 10586.122.

Microsoft had earlier announced Windows 10 will be available as a free upgrade for the first year during which time; it will rely on Office 365 and OneDrive subscriptions rather than Windows royalties that have been its traditional source of income so far.

Net Applications keeps a tab on the operating system reported to 40,000 popular sites to arrive at the market share of each OS.

On the last count, Windows 10 has been found running on more than 200 million devices. While that is impressive, it still has some ground to cover before it is seen running on more than a billion devices by 2018, a target that Microsoft is working really hard to achieve.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here