Listen to Story
WhatsApp, like many other online applications, strives to keep its users’ data private and secure. With features like one login at a time and two-factor authentication, the platform is relatively secure.
However, as with anything connected to the internet, there are security flaws that malicious individuals are all too eager to exploit. Because of the nature of WhatsApp, it’s critical to act quickly if you suspect your account has been compromised.
STEPS TO SECURELY SIGN IN TO YOUR WHATSAPP ACCOUNT:
- Tap the three vertical dots menu icon in the main WhatsApp window to launch a WhatsApp Web session on your tablet or phone
- Choose “WhatsApp Web.” This activates your camera for use in the following step
- You’ll be asked to scan a QR code, which you can obtain by opening WhatsApp Web in your browser
- Open a browser on your PC and navigate to the WhatsApp web
- Using your device’s camera, scan the QR code in the browser window.
STEPS TO CHECK IF SOMEONE IS USING YOUR WHATSAPP ACCOUNT:
- Examine Your WhatsApp Activity. When you open WhatsApp, you’ll see a list of messages at the top Examine this list for messages you did not send any messages you received from people you do not know
- Examine your contact information. If the intruder tries to take over your account, they will begin changing your contact information. Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner of your mobile device.
- Select “Settings.”
- At the top of the menu, select “profile.”
- Examine the information to ensure that it is correct and up to date
- If anything has changed, or if there is information in your account that you do not recognise, you must secure your account. following the instructions in the following section on using two-step verification
- Examine your inbox for WhatsApp messages. Search your messages by typing “WhatsApp” in the top-right “search bar” on iPhone or using the “magnifying glass” on Android. Keep an eye out for messages about account changes or access
- Look for new contacts. Open WhatsApp and tap on the “chat” icon in the lower right-hand corner to view your contacts. Confirm that there are no new or unknown friends on the list
- Examine the most recent chat sessions. By tapping the three vertical dots menu icon, you can view the most recent session or any open session
- Choose “Linked devices.”
- Look through the “Last active…” list for any unknown devices
- If you come across an unknown device, tap it and choose “Log Out.”
- In contrast to other services, the steps outlined above are the only way to view your WhatsApp login activity.
STEPS TO SECURE YOUR WHATSAPP ACCOUNT:
- From the main window, open WhatsApp and select the three vertical dots menu icon
- “Settings -> Account” should be selected
- Select “Two-step verification,” then click “Enable.”
- Enter a “6-digit PIN code,” then press the “Next” button
- To authenticate your WhatsApp account, you must now enter that PIN code every time you open it.