Breaking the brief lull of two weeks, a new preview version of Windows 10 Redstone Build 14267 has been released to insiders in the Fast Ring.
Also, the new build comes with several feature additions that we can actually see and feel. The latest release also marks a departure from the previous builds that concentrated on updates to the OneCore, thereby laying the foundation for future feature additions and enhancements.
Coming to Build 14267, the latest update brings about improvements to Cortana, the Edge browser as well as the Skype + Messaging.
To begin with, Cortana has now been endowed with the ability to identify the music being played and also search accordingly. The build 14267 actually allows adding a music search icon to Cortana, which no doubt is a nice capability enhancement for the Microsoft digital assistant.
In addition, Microsoft Edge is the biggest recipients of new features, which includes a new prompt for the download function that lets the user choose where to save the file along with the option to clear browsing data automatically once the browser is closed. For the latter, users will have to go to Setting > Clear browser data > Choose what to clear.
That is not all since the user can now right-click the Favorites bar that opens two menu options – show favicons, or add new folders.
As for Skype, users will have the option to attach photos to their messages or to click new photos using the camera app and attach them.
The new Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14267 for PCs also comes with several fixes which include:
- Choosing “Reset This PC” under Settings > Update & Security > Recovery should now work as expected.
- You should no longer see a WSClient.dll error dialog after logging in.
- The front-facing camera should be usable again on PCs with Intel RealSense cameras and you should be able to use Windows Hello again.
- Fixed an issue where incorrect storage capacity was provided for the system volume (the hard drive in which Windows is installed on) under Settings > System > Storage.
Also, no release to Insiders in the Fast Ring is perhaps complete without known issues though, for the latest build 14267, there is just one issue to be wary of.
According to Microsoft, users might encounter network issues if they are using ‘Hyper-V and upgrade to this build with more than one vswitch or have multiple virtual networking adapters (including legacy), you may lose networking connectivity after upgrade.’
Microsoft has also listed ways to get around this by following these steps:
- Remove all the virtual network adapters connected to the vswitch, delete the vswitch and recreate it, then reconnect their virtual NIC to the new vswitch.
- Admin command prompt, do “netcfg -d” will wipe-out all the vswitch settings so that you can start from scratch.