Sony announced the launch of its two new XA2 mid-range phones in Australia where it is going to sell for a cool $549. Availability starts April 17 with selfie feature pegged as the single biggest USP that the new XA2 boasts of.
That is going to be backed by an 8-megapixel front cam that benefits from a 120-degree Exmor R wide angle lens up front. The company is even calling it the ‘ultimate selfie smartphone’ currently available. The rear cam with its 23 megapixels 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS sensor is also pegged to be the best in its class. The rear cam is also classified for ISO 12800 sensitivity, which the company claims will provide best in class photography even in low light conditions.
Clearly, Sony has been banking on cutting-edge camera technology to push its smartphone range off late, and the same applies to the new XA2 as well. The camera is capable of 4K recordings as well as slow-motion videos at 120 fps.
The rest of the specs aren’t anything to be too excited of. That applies to the looks as well what with Sony seemingly bucking the current trend of going bezel-less. Instead, the XA2 has big chunks of it along the top and bottom though the company still managed to make the phone look fresh and have an appeal of its own.
The sides with its rounded shape do look nice and inviting while the rear is dominated by the single lens camera and fingerprint sensor arranged in a single vertical line along the center. The Xperia badging comes lower down and is largely clean and uncluttered.
As for its internal build, the XA2 is powered by a Snapdragon 630 chipset coupled to a 3 GB RAM and 32 GB storage. A 5.2-inch full HD 1080p display makes up the front while a 3300 mAh battery keeps things going. Running the entire show is Android Oreo. Sony also said the 3300 mAh battery supports Quick Charging though that would require investing another $49 in a Sony UCH12W Quick Charger.
- 5.2″ full HD 1080p Display
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 630 Mobile Platform
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB eMMC internal memory with microSDXC support (up to 256GB)
- Main camera: 23MP, 84° wide-angle F2.0 lens, 1/2.3” Exmor RS™ for mobile image sensor and 120fps slow-motion video recording
- Front camera: 8MP super wide-angle lens F2.4, 1/4″ Exmor R for mobile™ for mobile image sensor
- A-GNSS (GPS + GLONASS), WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0 and NFC
- Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- 3300 mAh with Qnovo Adaptive Charging (support for Quick Charge 3.0)
- 142 x 70 x 9.7mm @ 171 grams