LG announced a new rugged phone, X venture that also is surprisingly affordable as well. The phone right now is an AT&T exclusive in the United States but will also be available in Asia, Africa, Middle East, Latin America along with parts of Europe as well.
LG stated the new X venture is IP68 certified, which means it can remain submerged in 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 mins without harming its internals. Further, the handset has also successfully passed 14 different MIL-STD 810G tests, a standard that the US military conforms to. That makes the handset immune to extreme temperature conditions or external shock.
Also, contrary to the prevailing trend, the X venture sports physical buttons at the front for ease of operation even when wearing gloves, or in wet or muddy conditions. Another interesting feature of the X venture is the inclusion of a QuickButton on the side. The button provides for multiple functionalities. For instance, a long press will launch Settings while a double press will launch the Glove Mode.
Similarly, a single short press will launch the Outdoor Essentials. The Outdoor Essentials app again serves as a cluster of some of the most needed adventure tools, which includes a barometer, compass, activity counter, exercise tracker, weather information along with a flashlight.
Specifications wise, the X venture is a mediocre device at best, with an octa-core Snapdragon 435 chip providing the processing punch, together with a 2 GB RAM. On-board storage stands at 32 GB which is further expandable to 2 TB via microSD cards. The front is dominated by a 5.2-inch full HD display. The phone runs Android 7.0 right out of the gates and boasts of a 4100mAh battery.
For the shutterbugs, the X venture also offer a 5MP front camera that includes a 120-degree wide angle lens while the rear features a 16MP camera. The fingerprint scanner too is included in the rear that otherwise sports a non-slippery finish that reminds one of the V10.
The X venture will be on sale from AT&T from May 26 and will require a monthly installment of $11 for 24 months. That comes to a quite decent $260. Availability and pricing for other regions will be revealed as and when the device is ready for launch.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 Processor
- Display: 5.2-inch FHD In-Cell Touch (1080 x 1920 / 423ppi)
- Memory: 2GB LPDDR3 RAM / 32GB eMMC ROM / Micro SD Slot (up to 2TB)
- Camera: Front 5MP Wide Angle / Rear 16MP Standard Angle
- Battery: 4,100mAh (embedded)
- Operating System: Android 7.0 Nougat
- Size: 154.0 x 75.8 x 9.29mm
- Weight: 166.5g
- Network: LTE / 3G / 2G
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 4.2 / NFC / USB Type-B 2.0
- Color: Black / Brown
- Other: IP68 Water and Dust Resistant / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 / QuickButton / Outdoor Essentials / FM Radio / GPS / Accelerometer / Digital Compass / Gyroscope / Barometer